As one of Australia’s largest Not-For-Profit organisations, the client provides care and support services across Australia such as family support and out-of-home care, disability services, home and community care for older Australians, support to refugees and asylum seekers. Relationships come first, it’s more than just working together, it’s understanding one another, making lasting connections and building trust. They help their clients to believe in themselves.
The national finance month-end reporting was “just taking too long”. It was taking more than a working week to close the General Ledger and finalise reporting & commentaries. With only ~20 working days available each month, the month-end was taking a significant portion of both the National and State finance teams valuable and scarce time. A break-through was needed to change the mindset and align the teams around game-time!
“Its been less than a week since the Improvement workshops, and the team have already pulled 1 day out, I am impressed!” (Chief Financial Officer)
THE GESTALTIX® SOLUTION
A Process Streamlining Workshop was held, where the team reviewed the ‘As-Is’ workflow of month-end reporting and identified several immediate Quick Wins. The process was then redesigned to deliver significant process changes that would deliver substantial on-going reductions in the elapsed time to complete month-end reports:
- National month-end was reduced by 1 day immediately.
- National month-end team progress updates instituted, with on-going Focus areas to further reduce the elapsed time to complete month-end reporting.
- Identification of valuable but unused summary reports and information repositories that literally saved hours for individuals, to work from the ‘one source of truth’.
- Clarity of critical timings and reporting deadline requirements reducing a significant amount of rework due to incomplete or out-dated information.
- Time released for the whole team to “work smarter not harder” on other value-add tasks, effectively delivering tens of thousands of dollars of better support.
“It really has been a change in mindset for our team, now we can all see where we need to improve, and most importantly, how to make that improvement” (Acting Group Financial Controller)